Family, gifts, religion, a day off from work -- regardless of the personal significance and symbolism of this day for you, two things are certain: 1) you need to wear something, and 2) you’ll be carrying your phone. Here are 5 likely scenarios and a quick guide to help you get dressed and enhance your day with technology.
- Outfits should be modest and not too revealing. Need some inspiration? Check out these 4 looks that are stylish and appropriate for church.
- Jackets and blazers are on trend this season, and chances are you have a blazer in your closet that can be updated and revived (find out how here)
Tech complement: Not religious? Or just want to reflect quietly on your own? Wear whatever helps you relax and download Simply Being, a guided meditation app that walks you through a meditation practice of your desired duration, with or without music.
- It’s your family, so be comfortable, be festive, and have fun with your outfit. (Warning: don’t wear your favorite and/or most expensive shirt; spills happen.)
- Rock some sparkle with a sequin sweater (but keep it casual with jeans or corduroys). Find more fun glittery stuff to brighten a dull winter here.
Tech complement: Want to set just the right mood, but don’t have time to play DJ? Throw on one of these Spotify Christmas playlists and enjoy the compliments on your exemplary musical tastes.
- Realistically, not everyone (over the age of 10) has a fabulous snow suit at their disposal, not to mention the good ones are usually far too expensive to just casually pick up at the store. This holiday season, wear a cute beanie and some stylishly practical mittens, and improvise the rest with waterproof technical gear and layers of fleece.
- Splurge on that snow suit next year.
Tech complement: Heading to the slopes? Download the North Face app to get site-specific snow conditions, weather forecasts, full trail maps, and post your action shots to Facebook.
- Transform what’s already in your wardrobe into a festive outfit. Wear your go-to black dress and spice it up with some costume jewelry or sparkly hosiery.
- Keep it subtle and classy with a solid dark green or oxblood dress and give a modern twist to the classic red and kelly green Christmas colors.
Style tips: Pretty much anything in your closet will suffice. Go ahead and embrace the “I don’t have to be anywhere” theme and stay in your pajamas. Tech complement: Give yourself the gift of disconnecting from technology today. Spend your time volunteering at your local Salvation Army or wander around your neighborhood looking at holiday lights (here’s some help for interpreting what those decorations say about your neighbors). Find more unplugging inspiration here.
Happy Holidays from Sociology of Style!