[quote]A well-tied tie is the first serious step in life.[/quote]
Hallelujah! Men are dressing well! This is old news, but it needs to be celebrated as often as possible ,considering what a wretched fashion desert they were stranded in not too long ago (Von Dutch hats and velour jumpsuits, anyone?). Too long did saggy pants reign as king. Too long were oversized everythings the fashionable man’s norm. Dressing like you didn’t give two you-know-whats about what you wore was considered the manliest of manly fashion choices (We all remember Alicia Silverstone’s famous rant about this in “Clueless,” don’t we?). For the first time in decades, however, not only are clothes for the everyman cut in a more fitted manner, but it’s also socially acceptable, nay expected, for men to get their Dapper Dan on these days.
There are a number of reasons that account for this change. It could be that fashion goes in cycles, and we happen to be in a men’s fashion upswing at the moment. It could be the enormous popularity of Mad Men and, with it, a resurgence of interest in the dapper days of yore. It could simply be the greater interest in fashion among male celebrity figures, particularly in hip-hop and R&B, which suddenly makes it more acceptable for the average American male to wear a fitted three piece suit without the fear of being judged an effete dandy. Maybe it’s a culmination of all of these things. Whatever the answer, all I know is that the rest of us are getting a pretty good deal.
Today is the age of well-tailored pieces that make our men look like gentlemen, and I for one am not going to look this gift horse in the mouth. Gentlemen, here are 5 pointers to continue this trend for as long as possible, because you dapper men are truly delectable:
1. Get a handle on the basics every gentleman should have in his closet with these wardrobe essentials.
2. One thing every stylish sir should know is how to tie a tie. Here are not one, not two, but thirteen ways to do it, so you’re bound to pick up on one.
3. For continued style education and inspiration, take a look at this classy canine’s accoutrement.
4. It’s not just about the clothing, gents! Get the low-down on snappy men’s coiffures.
5. Being well-tied is a complete package. Don’t just dress like a gentleman; be a gentleman.